A Sun Valley Christmas
When I was a kid, our family spent many Christmases in Sun Valley and not surprisingly I have nothing but fond memories, so it’s no wonder I moved to Sun Valley the day I graduated from college, Dec. 20, 1980!
Our family Christmas traditions including skiing by day, the Torchlight Parade down Dollar Mountain, a big dinner with family and friends, and midnight mass at Our Lady of the Snows, at my mom’s insistence. Honestly, I think my mom was more interested in catching a glimpse of one of Kennedys than anything else. While she wasn’t of the same political persuasion as the Kennedys, she was quite thrilled when she saw someone from that iconic political family. I guess it was an “Irish thing.”
Here’s a few Sun Valley traditions to ensure you have a fantastic holiday season.
Christmas in Sun Valley begins December 8 at 2 PM at the Sun Valley Opera House with the screening of Warren Miller’s “Face of Winter.”
We all know the story of how Warren Miller began his ski film career in 1946 when he camped out of a teardrop trailer in the River Run parking lot. Can you imagine such an endeavor before Gore-tex and fleece? Before powder skis and the iPhone camera?
This years film is a tribute to Warren Miller’s long and storied life as the iconic ski cinematographer of almost five decades. Warren died last January but his legend lives on. For more about his distinctive life, click here.
If you miss “Face of Winter” on the 7th, try again at the Sun Valley Opera House on December 14, 18, 21, and 28. For More, visit SunValley.Com.
The Community Library and Sun Valley Resort host Holiday Storytelling for Kids
On Thursday, December 13 and 21, 2018 at 3:30 at the Sunroom of the Sun Valley Lodge, the Community Library will be sharing festive holiday stories and all kids will receive a holiday treat bag when they leave. For More.
Christmas in Sun Valley and the Winter Wonderland Festival has an event for everyone.
- Fashion Kick-Off Party – December 7th at the Brass Ranch
- Winter Wonderland and Locals in the Village – December 8th at the Sun Valley Village
- Apres Ski Live Music with the Pisten Bullies at the River Run Lodge – December 8th
- “Snow Globe” Window Stroll and Scavenger Hunt – December 8 – 31
- Nancy Liston Trunk Show – December 14th and 15th at Sun Valley Signatures and Gifts
- Apres Ski Live Music with Hellbound Glory at the River Run Lodge – December 14
- Open-Air Holiday Market at the Sun Valley Village – December 15th and 16th
- Kids Holiday Movie “Home Alone” at the Opera House – December 15
- Kids Holiday Movie “Elf” at the Opera House – December 16
- Vintage Holiday Sweater Party at the Duchin Room – December 19th
- Holiday High Tea at the Sun Valley Lodge – December 20th
- Apres Ski Live Music with Tony Holiday and the Velvetones at the River Run Lodge – December 21st
- Apres Ski Live Music with Aaron Golay at the River Run Lodge – December 22nd
- Brunch with Santa at the Sun Valley Club – December 23nd and 24th
- Apres Ski Live Music with The Kim Stocking Band at the River Run Lodge – December 24th
- Apres Ski Live Music with Red Light Challenge at the River Run Lodge – December 25th. Merry Sun Valley Christmas!
- Apres Ski Live Music with The Kim Stocking Band at the River Run Lodge – December 26th
- Apres Ski Live Music with Jeff Crosby at the River Run Lodge – December 27th
- Apres Ski Live Music with Ol Fashion Depot at the River Run Lodge – December 28th
- 80s on Ice at the Outdoor Sun Valley Ice Rink – December 28th
- Cosmic Bowling at the Sun Valley Lodge Bowling Alley – December 28, 29 and 31, 2018
- Clicquot in the Snow Party at the River Run Lodge – December 29th
- Apres Ski Live Music with Bread and Circus at the River Run Lodge – December 29th
Don’t Leave These Traditions Off Your List
Tree Lighting Ceremony
Tree Lighting Ceremony in the Village | Starting @ 5:30 pm – December 15, 2018
Featuring Santa, live holiday music, ice carving demo, free cookies & hot cocoa, and no-host outdoor bar. Festivities begin around 5:30pm with Tree Lighting to follow.
Sun Valley Serenade
Sun Valley Serenade | Sun Valley Opera House | 2:00 pm | FREE | December 19 and 26, 2018
Catch a screening of Sun Valley Serenade (1941) in the iconic Opera House. Sonja Henie, John Payne and Milton Berle star in this madcap musical adventure on and off the mountain. Music by the Glenn Miller Orchestra, featuring such classic hits “Chattanooga Choo Choo”, “In the Mood” and “It Happened in Sun Valley.”
DECEMBER 21 | STARRY SOLSTICE SOCIAL
A star-studded Ketchum event to celebrate our one-year anniversary as the Nation’s first International Dark Sky Reserve!
- Start with two planetarium shows in the Council meeting room at City Hall; 3:30 and 4:30. To sign up email firstname.lastname@example.org. Space is limited!
- Meet our astronomers in Town Square at 5pm with intros from the Mayor.
- Kirk Long and Greg Harman, astronomers working with Bruneau Dunes State Park Observatory, will speak and operate telescopes for local gazers.
- Know your stuff with an exhibit on the Central Idaho Dark Sky Reserve.
- Entertain the space cadets with kids activities at the igloo and maze!
- Celestial snacks from the City include free coffee, hot chocolate, cookies, cider and food from KBs, while supplies last. Warfield special drinks available for purchase.
- Rock beyond the stratosphere with music by Audio Moonshine,who will start playing after cocktail hour.
Christmas Eve Celebration
Christmas Eve Celebration | Skating in a Winter Wonderland Ice Show, Dollar Torchlight Parade & Fireworks
Gates open @ 3:00 pm, Show starts at 5:30 pm
The ice show will highlight modern renditions of classic holiday music. “Skating in a Winter Wonderland” will feature performances by Frank Sweiding and Anita Hartshorn, Ashley Clarke, and other professional skaters. Group numbers will be performed by the Sun Valley Figure Skating Club and visiting holiday guests. The traditional appearances by the Sun Valley Carolers and Santa Claus are on the schedule, followed by the Dollar torchlight parade and fireworks.
Ice show seating available in the bleachers (some will be reserved for hotel guests and visitors who are less mobile) and on the Lodge Terrace. Stick around for the Dollar Torchlight Parade that will immediately follow the Ice Show.
Free hot cocoa & cookies will be served.
5:30 pm | Carolers and “Skating in a Winter Wonderland” ice show, followed by the torchlight parade down Dollar Mountain, fireworks, and a visit by Santa!
DOLLAR MOUNTAIN LODGE4:00 pm – 9:00 pm
December 31, 2018
Family Night Ski, Party & Fireworks
Family Night-skiing, Party & Fireworks on Dollar Mountain | 4:00 pm – 9:00 pm
$40/adults, $30/kids, 12 & under
Hit the slopes to and enjoy some night turns, music under the stars and fireworks. Admission includes skiing and riding on Quarter Dollar, face painting, New Year’s Eve party hat decorating, photo booth, bouncy twister and so much more! Ring in the new year with family fun and festivities.
RIVER RUN LODGE9:00 pm – 1:00 am
New Year’s Eve Bubbly Bash
2018 New Year’s Eve Bubbly Bash: Benefit for the Sun Valley Center for the Arts River Run Lodge | 9:00 pm
Rock the Night Away | $150/per person | www.sunvalleycenter.org | 208.726.9491
FOR THE ENTIRE SUN VALLEY CHRISTMAS SCHEDULE OF EVENTS, VISIT SUNVALLEY.COM.
For additional Ketchum/Sun Valley area events visit www.visitsunvalley.com
Sheila Liermann | Sun Valley Real Estate Broker
Photos and some excerpts courtesy of SunValley.com