Save on Your Sun Valley Real Estate Property Taxes 

Tax time can equal big savings for new home buyers just by filing their Homeowner’s Exemption form. But they need to hurry; the deadline to apply in the Sun Valley area is April 15th. Make sure you have filed their Homeowner’s Exemption form before it’s too late.


Don't forget to file your property tax homeowner's exemption for the sun valley area

Frequently Asked Questions about Sun Valley Property Taxes from the Idaho State Tax Commission website:

I applied for a property tax reduction benefit last year. Do I have to apply again this year when nothing has changed?

Yes. An application for the property tax reduction benefit (unlike an application for the homeowner’s exemption) must be made annually between Jan. 1 and April 15.

I bought my home after the April 15 filing deadline. Can I apply for a homeowner’s exemption or a property tax reduction benefit for this year?

No. You must own and occupy your home before April 15 of the current year and must apply for the exemption by April 15.

You cannot apply for the property tax reduction until next year and must meet the remaining eligibility requirements before you will be eligible for this benefit.

I didn’t know about this program and I have been eligible for several years. Can I apply for the property tax reduction benefit for prior years?

No. You can only apply for and receive the property tax reduction benefit for the current year, and apply for the benefit each year thereafter.

Is any property tax relief available to homeowners?

Yes, three different types of property tax relief are available to homeowners:

Homeowner’s Exemption

Each owner-occupied primary residence (house or manufactured home) and up to one acre of land is eligible for a homeowner’s exemption. To qualify, you must own and occupy your home before April 15, and you must file an application with your county assessor’s office by April 15. Once you apply and qualify for this exemption, you only have to reapply if you move or if the ownership changes.

This exemption allows 50 percent of the value of your home and up to one acre of land to be exempted, up to a maximum amount. Each year this maximum amount is adjusted based on the change in the Idaho Housing Price Index published by the Federal Housing Finance Agency. For the amount of the current year’s maximum homeowner’s exemption, visit our Homeowners & Property Tax webpage. This index reflects typical housing price changes in Idaho and not just those that may be occurring in your area.

Property Tax Reduction Program (commonly known as “circuit breaker”)

With the property tax reduction program, the state pays a portion of a homeowner’s property taxes, and qualified recipients don’t repay the state. To qualify, you must:

  • Own and occupy your home as your primary residence,
  • Meet certain income requirements, and
  • Be either: age 65 or older, a widow(er), blind, a former POW, a fatherless or motherless minor, or a qualifying disabled person.

Unlike the homeowner’s exemption, you must file an application with your county assessor between Jan. 1 and April 15 each year, even when you haven’t moved or had ownership changes. See other FAQs relating to the property tax reduction benefit.

Property Tax Deferral Program

Property taxes on your home and up to one acre of land may be deferred, provided you meet the qualifications for the property tax reduction program (except that higher income limits are in effect for the deferral program).

What is an occupancy tax?

If you buy and occupy property after Jan. 1 that has not previously been occupied, you are required to pay the occupancy tax. The amount of the occupancy tax is the value of the building(s) prorated for the part of the year after first occupancy, multiplied by the property tax rate.

To obtain the Property Tax Exemption Form, PLEASE CLICK HERE.

Blogged by Sheila Liermann | Sun Valley Real Estate Broker