More people are heading to Idaho than any other state, according to the newly released 2019 Atlas Van Lines Migration Patterns study. This marks the second year since 2017 that Idaho has ranked as the inbound leader for moves nationwide. Meanwhile, more residents are leaving New York, which had the highest number of outbound moves last year, the study shows.
Overall, the company’s national moving data shows a decrease in domestic re-locations from 2018 to 2019. Its study also shows that 26 states registered as "balanced," which means that the number of residents moving in and out are about equal. The states seeing the biggest rises in new residents are attractive because of job growth, lower cost of living, and more moderate climates.
Atlas Van Lines showed the following states as having the highest number of inbound moves in 2019:
Where are the new residents coming from? The following are the top 10 states with the highest number of outbound moves in 2019:
United Van Lines Migration Study
United Van Lines last week released their annual National Movers Study which tracks state-to-state migration patterns over the past year. Idaho ranked #1 (last year: #3) while Washington ranked #5 (last year: #7).
ST. LOUIS – Jan. 2, 2020 – Americans are moving into Idaho, and Idaho is moving up—in the ranking of most popular 2019 moving destinations, that is.
According to the results of United Van Lines’ 43rd Annual National Movers Study, which tracks customers’ state-to-state migration patterns over the past year, Idaho saw the highest percentage of inbound migration among states experiencing more than 250 moves* with United Van Lines: 67.4 percent. This is Idaho’s first time leading the list of inbound states in more than 25 years. However, for the second consecutive year, the study found that more residents moved out of New Jersey than any other state, as 68.5 percent of New Jersey moves were outbound.
2019, Idaho - Primary Reasons for moving:
• Retirement: Inbound: 35.71% / Outbound: 10.87%
• Health: Inbound: 8.57% / Outbound: 10.87%
• Family: Inbound: 25% / Outbound: 30.43%
• Lifestyle: Inbound: 21.43% / Outbound: 23.91%
• Job: Inbound: 26.43% / Outbound: 43.48%
Primary Age Ranges:
• <18-34: Inbound: 10.53% / Outbound: 17.78%
• 35 to 44: Inbound: 5.26% / Outbound: 13.33%
• 45 to 54: Inbound: 12.03% / Outbound: 17.78%
• 55 to 64: Inbound: 36.09% / Outbound: 22.22%
• 65 or older: Inbound: 36.09% / Outbound: 28.89%
• $0 to $49,999: Inbound: 5.43% / Outbound: 12.9%
• $50,000 to $74,999: Inbound: 15.22% / Outbound: 12.90%
• $75,000 to $99,999: Inbound: 18.48% / Outbound: 16.13%
• $100,000 to $149,999: Inbound: 23.91% / Outbound: 25.81%
• $150,000 or more: Inbound: 36.96% / Outbound: 32.26%